Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Not Every Experiment is a Good One

A little while back I decided to give "frankening" a go.  What is frankening?  It is mixing your own custom nail polish.  You can make a franken by mixing existent polishes, or by adding pigments and/or glitters to a base, or some combination of the above.  The blog All Lacquered Up has a good post on it here.

My first franken was made by mixing an old NYC clear topcoat with eyeshadow.  I had a couple of colors from Urban Decay's first Book of Shadows that I really liked, but they didn't look good with my blue-grey eyes, so I brushed off some of their pigment onto a plate, added the topcoat, and stirred with a toothpick.  I was confused to see a dark olive with golden shimmer, considering the colors I used looked nothing like that.  I used Shattered, a light blue-green duochrome, Absinthe, a bright green, and a tiny bit of Goddess, a dark glittery midnight blue.  I thought I would end up with a blue/green, or a blue/green duochrome.  The initial franken color, although unexpected, was pretty, but I wanted to try lightening it up since olive isn't really my color.  I added some drops of Sinful Colors Snow Me White.  I didn't realize how quickly the polish would lighten the color, so I added way too much and ended up with a very pale, dull green.  Trying to bring back some intensity, I added a drop of Zoya Raven.  At this point, the color was nothing like I really wanted, but was starting to thicken and dry up so I couldn't really save it.  I stirred in a bit more topcoat as I went along to thin it out, and painted two coats of it on my toes.  I was glad I just mixed a little of this on a paper plate instead of wasting a bunch of polish and eyeshadow to make a bottle that I wouldn't use again.

If you are offended by feet or scarred by ugly color and gross toes, don't click the jump.  I am just putting this up to hopefully be able to look back in the future and see how far I've come, haha.





It wasn't the worst thing I'd ever seen in my life, so I left it on for a couple days.  Then my grandfather-in-law decided that I needed to know that my toenail polish made me look like I was rotting and that I should probably see a doctor, lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment